- Bacteriology and Immunology
- Clinical Chemistry
- Medical Genetics
- Transplantation Laboratory
- Research Programs
Haartmaninkatu 3 (P.O. Box 21)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki
tel. +358 2941 911 (switch)
The Vantaa 85+ Study (Neuropathology Research Group)
Members of the Vantaa 85+ neuropathology subgroup
Doc. Anders Paetau, MD, PhD
Doc. Liisa Mykkynkags, MD, PhD
Tuomo Polvikoski, MD, PhD (Newcastle University, UK)
Maarit Tanskanen, MD, PhD
Minna Oinas, MD, PhD
Mira Mäkelä, MD
Mia Kero, PhLic, PhD Student
Anna Raunio, MSc, PhD Student
Prof. Pentti Tienari, MD PhD, University of Helsinki
Prof. Raimo Sukeva, MD PhD, University of Eastern Finland
Vantaa 85+ study is a prospective population-based study, which was established in 1991. All the subjects aged 85 years or over living in the city of Vantaa in April 1, 1991 were included in the study (N= 601). Clinical examination was possible on 553 participants and a neuropathological examination on 304 participants (51%). A blood sample for genetic testing was obtained from 92% of the participants.
Until now, the Vantaa 85 + Study has resulted in a variety of publications and thesis projects in different fields. The neuropathological subproject of the Vantaa 85+ Study has been focused on 1) characterization of the common age-related pathologies in the elderly Finnish population, and 2) identification of their genetic background.
At present, our main focus is 1) to investigate the impact of cerebral amyloid angiopathy and other neuropathologies on clinical dementia, and 2) to investigate the genetic background of these neuropathologies by using a genome-wide analysis, as part of an international ECLIPSE (Epidemiological CLInicoPathological Studies in Europe) study.
Selected recent publications
- Kero M, Paetau A, Polvikoski T, Tanskanen M, Sulkava R, Jansson L, Myllykangas L, Tienari PJ. Amyloid precursor protein (APP) A673T mutation in the elderly Finnish population. Neurobiol Aging. 2013 May;34(5):1518.
- Tanskanen M, Mäkelä M, Myllykangas L, Notkola IL, Polvikoski T, Sulkava R, Kalimo H, Paetau A. Prevalence and severity of cerebral amyloid angiopathy: a population-based study on very elderly Finns (Vantaa 85+). Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2012 Jun;38(4):329-36.
- Peuralinna T, Tanskanen M, Mäkelä M, Polvikoski T, Paetau A, Kalimo H, Sulkava R, Hardy J, Lai SL, Arepalli S, Hernandez D, Traynor BJ, Singleton A, Tienari PJ, Myllykangas L. APOE and AβPP gene variation in cortical and cerebrovascular amyloid-β pathology and Alzheimer's disease: a population-based analysis. J Alzheimers Dis. 2011;26(2):377-85.